One of the University’s greatest strengths is its Roman Catholic heritage. 80多年了, Rivier has been a place where Judeo-Christian and Catholic values inform what we teach and what we talk about as a community.
As a co-educational institution of higher 学习, the University is dedicated to the education of undergraduate and graduate students in both the liberal arts and professional courses of study.
Founded in 1933 by the Sisters of the Presentation of Mary and Sister Madeleine of Jesus, 河大学 is a Catholic institution of higher education dedicated to transforming hearts and minds to serve the world.
致力于信仰传承, 知识的传统, and social teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, the University educates the whole person in the context of an academic community that cultivates critical thought, 正确的判断, 尊重所有人. This community supports the intellectual growth of all its members while offering them opportunities for social, 文化, 道德, 精神发展. The challenge to the University community is to search for truth through the dialogue between faith and reason.
Rivier creates an environment in which integrated 学习 is the shared responsibility of students, 教师, 工作人员, 和管理员, and is pursued in all the curricular and co-curricular programs of the University. To participate in the life of 河大学 is to strive for academic excellence, to take responsibility for ourselves and for others, and to engage in dialogue about basic human issues facing society, especially the plight of the poor and powerless. The University extends to all of its members, 对更大的社区也是如此, an invitation to join in intellectual inquiry and dialogue.
Through its 任务-focused curriculum, 河大学 seeks to:
Develop Knowledge of Human Cultures and the Physical and Natural World through study focused on engagement with big questions, both contemporary and enduring, in:
Develop Intellectual and Practical Skills that will be practiced extensively across the curriculum, in the context of progressively more challenging problems, projects and standards for performance, 在以下领域:
Develop Personal and Social Responsibility reinforced through active involvement with diverse communities and real-world challenges, 包括:
- Civic knowledge and engagement – local and global
- Inter文化 knowledge and competence
- 终身的基础和技能 学习
从事综合和应用 学习 demonstrated through the application of knowledge skills and dispositions to new settings and complex problems 包括:
- The synthesis and advanced accomplishment across general and specialized studies
Foster a Sense of the Sacred and of the Dignity of the Human Person, particularly as expressed through the Catholic Tradition, by active engagement with 知识的传统s and living communities, 由:
- Recognition of Catholicism’s contribution to the development of the whole person
- Appreciation of the sacred meaning and purpose of life
- Inquiry into the essence of authentic human community
- Respect for the belief systems of others
Through its graduate and doctoral curriculum, 河大学 enables students to:
- Further develop creative approaches to problem solving, 促进求知欲, and engender a lifelong commitment to 学习
- Engage in ethical personal and professional conduct, as well as pursue a strong commitment to social justice, in order to serve the disciplines and communities in which students will participate
- Develop a sense of the sacred and of the dignity of the human person, particularly as expressed through the Catholic tradition
- Develop the ability to place one’s discipline in an historical, 文化, and global perspective
- Apply advanced critical and creative reasoning, 无论是定性的还是定量的, and demonstrate advanced communication ability in a variety of modalities
- Function as skilled professionals in their chosen careers, or consoli日期 an advanced understanding of their disciplines
Rivier students are living our mission every day, supporting the great work of local community partners like 纳舒厄 PAL. The organization operates a youth center in downtown 纳舒厄, offering a safe haven and after-school program to disadvantaged youth ages 7-18. Rivier students volunteer to mentor the children, 辅导家庭作业, 计划项目和活动, and lead recreational sports and activities. They act as role models to the children and bring them to spend time on campus, encouraging them to pursue a college education.